Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nothing better than family


Earlier this year I was hanging out with my family - my dad, my sister in law, and all the kids - and my dad casually mentioned he was a Pearl Harbor baby. Huh?
 
He believes he was conceived just after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December of 1941, so that his dad would be less likely to go to war. Indeed - he was born September of 1942. Making him….. 70 YEARS OLD this year! Dang, I didn't even realize, I better do something special for his birthday!
So Jeff and I planned a surprise visit back home to my hometown. We told my mom, who was going to pick us up from the airport and chuckle, "Look who I found wandering around?" I could just imagine my dad - eyes open wide, mouth agape, mind boggled.
Well Mom is getting old too, and at age 64, left our flight itinerary up on the computer for when Dad got home, spilling the beans. 
Sigh… so much for a surprise...

This same weekend, one of my best friends, a wonderful person who everyone loves, Maggie, is getting married. (Made sense to combine both events in one weekend.) No one deserves happiness more than she does. 
Meanwhile, this will be Jeff and I's 3rd wedding to attend this year, two more to go. And yet, still not anywhere closer to the altar ourselves. Don't judge me for picking out a venue, setting a prospective date and creating a list of invitees….

No comments:

Post a Comment